Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Diva Goes Shopping...

I've been living in Nanjing for about 6 weeks now, and I have not bought a pair of shoes yet.  For those who know me, this is a feat of epic proportion.  It is time to go shopping!

Don't get me wrong, I have browsed through plenty of furniture stores, and I can grocery shop with the rest of the locals, but I haven't gone shopping!  Macy's has sent me 3 "We miss you" e-coupons already, and all I can do is sniffle and say "I miss you, too, my mothership!"  TJ Maxx, Lord and Taylor, Nordstroms... I miss you, too, my friends, I really do.

A few weeks ago, Matt and I had wandered through a "flea market" type shopping complex.  There were stalls everywhere selling everything from bathroom hooks to batteries, from tea sets to tea.  But despite a few minor purchases, it didn't satisfy the craving for a shopping trip.

Yesterday one of my old coworkers and very dear friend, Doris, invited me to lunch and a shopping trip.  We ventured to Aqua City - one of the newer malls in the center of town.  Allow me to preface what I am about to say, I'm going to generalize... A LOT. Forgive me.

Happy Ever Day!
Doris and I had a leisurely lunch and then wandered aimlessly in and out of stores.  The styles were so delicate and lacy...almost child-like in many cases.  Aside from some jeans, there was very little that I saw that was "me".  Many shirts had drawings on them - cute pictures of cartoon women, pigs, cows and the like.  Many have English words randomly splayed on them.  Some have meaning, but others... well, they appear to have been translated, so they probably mean more in Chinese than they do in English.  I snapped a photo of my favorite one. 

And, Chinese women must weigh on average 72 pounds.  They are small and slender and delicate.  And gorgeous.  And well, the clothes match the woman.  Ooof...I hope Arnold, the trainer, has an in with Miracle Max!

So, I started talking to myself:  Ok, let's be rational... you have a sea-shipment full of clothes arriving on Friday.  You'll be home in 6 months, where you can show Macy's how much it means to you.  Internet shopping is feasible.  Arnold's working with you 3 days/week.  All will be fine.  This is not a crisis.  And besides, you really don't even LIKE most of these things!!! 

But I still want to learn how to say "where did you buy that?" in Mandarin, so I can walk up to the chunkiest Chinese woman I see (I'm still waiting for that encounter!) to find out where SHE can shop!  Perhaps there's a Chinese version of Lane Bryant for all those over a US size 6?

Ok, breathe, Ri.  There is a plan in place, so come down from the bitterness ledge.  Time to focus on SHOES. 

Doris and I wandered into Nine West - my preferred footwear of choice.  Please allow me this digression:  I remember the day we met.  It was a Saturday in October 1994.  I was shopping in Filenes with a college friend.  This gorgeous pair of black lace up, mid-calf boots with a 4" stacked-heel called out to me.  They were $99.00, but otherwise perfect.  We needed each other.  I called my dad at home to ask him if I could use the credit card to buy them.  He laughed at me, then indulged me.  I was his little girl, and really, he never did deny me anything if it was within his power to deliver.  I went home with my new loves, and the rest is history.

The Nine West store at Aqua City was just like the one at Somerset Mall...or any other mall, really: Well lit, with the beige walls and black trim that scream no-nonsense elegance.  The styles were straight off of 5th Avenue, the colors and fabrics perfect for the summer season.  I was breathing normal now - I was in my comfort zone, among the shoes I love.  I saw a few pair of Rocha - a full somewhat rounded toe shoe with a 4.5" heel that fits my feet well and oozes comfort.  I buy them every season in the new colors.  This season's China collection was DIVINE, and I already had an outfit picked out to wear with them on Monday morning.  Ok, they're a little more expensive than in the US, but I've never let cost stand between me and my footwear before!  Maybe this China shopping thing won't be so horrible after all...I mean, really, who needs new clothes?  It's all about the shoe; everyone knows that!

So, you can understand the shoe-shock I was in just 5 minutes later.  I wear a solid size 9 in the US, 255 in China (yes, I figured that out before I moved).  Earlier at H&M, I saw a hideous pair of shoes, but they were available in a 255...I tested them and we had lift-off...my size calculator was on the money!

Unfortunately, even though H&M had a pair of shoes in a 255, Nine West, did not.  Nor did the 4 other local stores we walked into after that.  Apparently, most Chinese women do not wear anything above a 245 (size 8), so alas, they just stop there. 

I was crestfallen!  What is this injustice?!  I'm a size 9, not a 19!  I'm not sporting some Sasquatch or Amazon foot...I'm normal!  Even in the US I pity the plight of women who wear size 11 because not every shoe is available in their size... but here, at my beloved Nine West, not even 1 shoe was available.  Unbelievable.

I got back in the car after 4 hours of shopping without a single purchase.  Not a once did I swipe my credit card, nothing.  I'm so unaccustomed to this - is this some sort of cruel joke? But, no, it wasn't a joke.  It's real.  This Is China.

But God and my dad were smiling on me... as I sat there pondering this new reality, my i-phone beeped signaling that I had new mail.  I clicked to my inbox, and Happy Day!  Nine West online is having a July 4th sale...including free shipping.  Take THAT, Chinese shopping malls!

The Diva is back in business. 
 

1 comment:

DivaMomCarol said...

We may have to play "Filene's Basement" if we find those size 9 shoes, Mz. Rita!But in case I lose that tug-o'-war I'll keep www.Zappos.com on standby for our December home trip. :o*