Saturday, June 11, 2011

Chinese Charades

Scribblish, Cranium, Pictionary... they've got nothing on the intense game of Chinese Charades that I play every day.  Years of monthly game nights with the gang have taught me how to draw with my eyes closed and how to gesture without saying a word.  And I still contend that if we had 3 more minutes, I could have twisted Juliette into enough of pretzel to get Jen to say "quicksand".

But I never assumed my gaming addiction would help me to survive.  Universal clues are easy - a point to the wrist means clock or time.  A thumb and pinky telephone clearly means I'll call you.  But when the phrase "I will pick up the poop" failed to calm the man who was screaming at me from his window at 6AM last Thursday, I was desperate!  I gestured my intentions, the man calmed down, nodded, and allowed Harley to finish his business in peace. 

I realized then that my Italian heritage of talking with my hands and my gaming history will be invaluable here.  It's gotten to the point where I notice I'm not even speaking - I just clamp my mouth closed and let my hands guide me.  My picture dictionaries help as well (Even Bob Barker would allow me that cheat!), and I've managed to order meals, shop, and get my driver from Point A to Point B with little chaos.

But yesterday, I got stumped - How do you explain small disposable room dehumidifier?  Jen, Matt, Leah, Brian - I'm tasking you to come up with the right mime!  I took the frustrated foreigner's way out.  I called a friend to send me a photo of the device to show Mr Zheng. 

I'm nothing if not resourceful!

As an aside, I'm happy to demonstrate my air scoop technique if anyone is interested...you never know when or where you might need it!

No comments: